Jean-Charles de Castelbajac

BY SHELDON

"I AM AND I DON'T FOLLOW"

Just a week after the openning of his most recent exhibition "The Tyranny of Beauty" at La B.A.N.K Gallery, Jean-Charles de Castelbajac has once again managed to set the worlds eyes on his work, opposing logos and designs that stand for something in our consumer minds, with classic and beautiful works of art.
This isn't the first time this Moroccan fashion designer shocks us with his criticism towards pop culture, in fact, it is pop culture what has made Jean-Charles what he is right now.

Starting off in 1973 using hijacked fabrics and imprinting cartoon characters in them to make clothing, Jean-Charles de Castelbajac has gained himself respect and fame through clothing that refers to culture and not to fashion.
His designs have been worn by artists such as Beyoncé, M.I.A, Lady Gaga, Beth Ditto and even The Pope himself. With his pop extravanganza and his talent for simbolism he will continue to reach us with his art and his friends Mickey Mouse and Kermit the Frog.

The pictures above and below are pieces from his exhibitons "The Tyranny of Beauty" and "The Triumph of sign".